Daycare Center St Wendel
Built in 1956, the daycare center no longer sufficed the requirements of an appropriate contemporary childcare due to multiple functional impairments and spatial limitedness. The aim of St. Wendel parish, the building contractor of the project, was to correct these impediments as well as to construct an extension including two group and ancillary rooms.
Due to the bad structural conditions, the existing one-story building was dismantled to the basement. The floor area of the new building is considerably larger than the existing basement, which was made possible by a lightweight wooden construction.
The spatial overhangs of the new, with larch wood revetted two-story building are arranged in a manner that establishes a balancing construction. The total weight of the new building could be reduced and distributed evenly onto the existing basement structure.
The interior of the daycare center is divided into distinct zones: the functional spaces are located on the north side facing the street and the group rooms are situated on the south side. Large windows allow plenty of daylight to enter the inside. They allow great views onto the green of the neighboring graveyard, the playground, and the city skyline.